Lots of businesses were wondering if the Facebook scandal affected social media marketing, but the reality is that marketers and users are not leaving the platform any time soon.
In the past few years, Facebook introduced several tools for content creators and advertisers. These new features created a shift in the way people use the site. Most of us, in fact, don't use Facebook to connect with friends as much as we use it to consume content that is relevant to us.
People "like" pages that are relevant to their passions so that they can expose themselves to more relevant content and share that content with their friends.
With this said, here are a few tips you can use to achieve steady growth for your business social media accounts.
1. Know how much and when to post: Every platform is different, but as a rule of thumb, Twitter is where you can post the most (4 or 5 times a day). You can post original content on Instagram once per day, but you can be as active as you want with Instagram stories, mainly if your business sells exciting products or has a "behind the scene." You can post on your facebook page every 2 or 3 days, but if you are looking at being an active member of your community, you can share content related to your BIA or neighbourhood. You can also do a quick google search what the best time to post is. The times change often based on season and on the niche you are targeting.
2. Use hashtags appropriately: As your account grows and you have an active following, you can make your own hashtags, but when you are still trying to get traction, stick to popular hashtags in your niche, try as many hashtags as you want and keep track of which ones are driving the most engagement.
3. Quality is essential: Remember that everything you post on your social media becomes part of your brand. If you post dull content and your message is not consistent, people will not follow you and will associate your business with poor quality. Invest time in creating uniform themes across your social media platforms and sharing good content, even if it means posting a bit less.
4. Engage with other users by liking and commenting: If you are looking to grow your Instagram and Twitter accounts, you need to engage with your audience as much as possible. Search the same hashtags that you use for your posts and comment/like as many pictures as you can. Every time you comment or like a picture, your name appears on someone notification feed! Can you imagine how much more exposure you'll get?
5. Define your audience: All this work can't be done unless you have a clear idea of you your customers are. Creating a customer avatar is not as easy as saying "Young men living in the city". You need to be very specific. For example, a customer avatar for a men's clothing store can be "George is 26 years old and works at marketing agency downtown. He takes the subway to work, and he listens to indie rock and podcasts. On weekends he hangs out at house parties and breweries." After you define your avatar, ask your self: what does George want to see on his newsfeed?
By implementing these points, you will be on your way to growing your account with relevant and engaged followers!